Basketball is the most popular sport in the Philippines, played on both the amateur and professional levels.
- ABL - The ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) is a men’s professional basketball league in Southeast Asia that began in October 2009. It comprises six clubs from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). The league was proposed in Kuala Lumpur and launched on October 1, 2009.
- PBA – The Philippine Basketball Association, often abbreviated to the PBA, is the men’s professional basketball league in the Philippines which is composed of 10 company-branded franchised teams. It is the first and the oldest professional basketball league in Asia. The league’s rules are a hybrid of FIBA’s and the NBA’s rules.
- PBL - The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) is a commercial semi-professional basketball league in the Philippines. The league is composed of several commercial teams with several collegiate and provincial stars in the fold.
- Women’s Philippine Basketball League – is an upcoming women’s basketball league in the Philippines. It was originally formed in 1998 as the women’s counterpart to the Philippine Basketball League. The league went on hiatus from 2000 until it was revived in 2008. The revived league is expected to start-up on November 9, 2008, and will run alongside the PBL tournaments. It is open to all Filipino women basketball players 25 years old and below.
- Liga Pilipinas – is a regional basketball league in the Philippines. It is sanctioned by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, the country’s national basketball federation, and owned by Pinoy Basketbol, Inc. The National Basketball Conference and the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association, along with Third Force Inc., were merged to officially form the league. The league’s launch is on May 31, 2008, and games started on June 18, 2008.
- PCC - The Philippine Collegiate Championship (PCC) is the national collegiate basketball championship tournament in the Philippines. It is sanctioned by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, the country’s national basketball federation, and organized by the Philippine Collegiate Champions League. Its format is similar to the one used in the United States’ NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship, with 250 teams coming from nine different regional areas nationwide.
- UAAP - The University Athletic Association of the Philippines holds its basketball tournaments from July to October of a calendar year. The tournament is divided into two divisions, the Seniors’ division, which is further divided into the Men’s tournament, for male collegiate players, and the Women’s tournament for female collegiate players; the other division is the Juniors’ for male high school players.
- NCAA – The National Collegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament is held every first semester of the academic year (from June up to October). Each year, eight schools vie to win the two championships: the Juniors and Seniors. If a school wins both championships in one season, it said that they have won the “double championship.”
Incoming search terms:
- filipini ncca liga
- philippine collegiate college basketball
- professional basketball in the philippines
- rules in basketball in the philippines