The National Collegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament is held every first semester of the academic year (from June up to October). Each year, eight schools vie to win the two championships: the Juniors and Seniors. If a school wins both championships in one season, it said that they have won the “double championship.”
The tournament commences with a double-round robin of eliminations, where the four teams with the best records advance to the semifinals, with the two top seeds clinching the twice to beat advantage. The winners in the semifinals meet in a best-of-3 Finals series, in order to determine the champion.
The championship is continually contested since the league’s foundation in 1924, except during World War II and the mid-1960s when scandals rocked the league.
The athletic nicknames of the different teams variously came from the school’s founders, or from a distinct quality that separated a school from the others.
Notably, the first champion of this event was crowned in 1925, 14 years before the U.S. NCAA tournament was instituted.
- Season 86
- Sport : Basketball
- Founded : 1924
- No. of teams : 8
- Country : Philippines
- Most recent champions : San Sebastian Stags (Seniors’), San Beda Red Cubs (Juniors’)
- Official website : www.NCAA.org.ph
Incoming search terms:
- ncaa philippines 2013
- ncaa basketball philippines 2013
- ncaa tournament 2013 Philippines
- ncaa 2013 philippines
- ncaa basketball 2013 philippines
- ncaa philippines
- ncaa basketball philippines 2014
- philippines ncaa 2013
- NCAA Basketball Philippines
- ncaa philippines 2013 basketball champion